The happy day of 20% response rate (excited by the novelty of email) of email campaign
has been long gone. The low cost of email prompts business owners to send mass emails.
The volume of emails average users received and easiness of filtering or deleting email messages
make it even hard to get recipients' attention. The effective email campaign bears the same
characteristics of successful conventional mail campaigns.
Define Goals of Email Campaigns
Defining goals of your email campaign is the first step towards the success. The goals can be described
by marketing strategies, purchase decision making process, product life cycle and marketing channels.
See Marketing Basics: Concepts and Strategies
for more details. The goals will help you identify whom to send and what to send.
Define Markets & Generate Mailing List
In general, you should not send unsolicited emails. you should only send emails with recipients' permission.
If you don't have an appropriate mailing list, you can contact a list broker who have expertise compiling a list
for targeted markets. A thousand unsolicited emails may generate a few positive response, but it may piss off
a dozens of potential customers.
Compose Content of Email Message
- Subject should be descriptive and concise. The subject will determine whether
users will read your message at all.
- Recipient should be as specific as possible. This will help establish trust and one-on-one relationship.
- Content should be descriptive enough to convince users to take desired actions,
such as follow a link to a web page.
- Footer explains how you get their email address and offers easy way to unsubscribe from your list.
The purposes of response tracking are two folds:
- To measure the results against the goals of email campaigns.
- To gain insights of the campaigns which will further improve the effectiveness of your email campaigns.
Marketing campaign is an ongoing process and will not stop at one email campaign.
Marketing Basics: Concepts and Strategies
Affiliate Program - basics, types and selecting qualified affiliate programs
What is Branded Email & Why You Need It!
Four Models of Successful Internet Business Sites:
10 Classic Ways To Successfully Use Autoresponders