When come to Search Engine Marketing, we ask:
1) How do I promote my website?
2) What days of the week do you get the most traffic?
3) What is the average click through rate of sponsored links?
The questions could go on, on and on. And SEO experts may have different answers on the same
question and it all depends ..., depends really on what kind of website you're talking about.
Unless we are able to classify websites by characteristics properly, the answers to many SEM
questions are meaningless.
A Website is a collection of Web pages that adhere to a common theme. For the purpose of
Web marketing or search engine promotion, We'd like to focus on logical aspects rather
than physical aspects of the Websites. Google has indexed over 4 billions of documents on the Web.
The numbers of unique domain names are estimated to be over 16 millions according to www.alexa.com.
The total number of websites could be well over 100 millions considering that many web sites
are under sub-domains or a directories. The large number of Websites can be grouped by the content
of the site and popularity of a site.
The gigantic number of Websites falls into a few content types:
Many Websites are created with the mixed types of content elements.
- Content Site collection of pages that provide text, images or video content.
CNN and CNET are examples of well-established content sites.
- Forum a website where many members can past message and interact with each other. Content in various forms
is informal and spontaneous.
- Blog A blog is a (usually personal) journal that is available on the web. Blog software
allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain their journal. Blog is like
a forum where just one user posts messages.
- Directory Site A directory, for instance Yahoo and dmoz, is a collection of pages that provide
links and descriptions to other sites or pages. There're directory sites for almost every niche
subject (search engine directories, astronomy links and ESL links).
- Brochure or Organization Site This type of the site is the equivalent of brochure in print media.
The sites are designed to promote an organization, individual or products.
Content Subject The subject of a website could rang from news, sports,
entertainment, to science.
Size of the Website The size of a website is measured by the numbers
of pages within the site.
- Small Website less than 100 pages.
- Medium Website 100 - 1000 pages.
- Large Website more than 1000 pages.
Link Popularity of Websites All major search engines use link structure
as part of their ranking algorithm. We use Google's PageRank
to measure the link popularity of a Website since the algorithm is well-known, simple and viewable
with Google's Toolbar. The link popularity of a Website is measured by the average
PageRank value of the main navigation pages, the pages accessible from all pages of the site. If a homepage of
a site is PR4, and other pages are PR3, the site is considered a PR3 site.
- Low PageRabk Site (PR0 - PR3) Most of new websites fall into this category.
- Medium PageRank Site (PR4 - PR6) Some of low PageRank websites evolves into Medium PageRank site
over a course of a couple of months or a year without buying links.
- High PageRank Site (PR7 - PR10) The number of high PageRank sites are not that many. The only PR10 site
I'm aware of is www.google.com.
PageRank and Linking - the Definitive Guide
Factors Affecting Search Engine Ranking
How Search Engines Work - Crawler, Indexer and Query Server
Keyword Popularity on Google - an Online SEO Tool
Increase hits - Build Web Site Traffic from Search Engines
Why Search Engine Marketing professionals prefer SEO over link building
Website Traffic Services